About This Wine...
A young team led by Séverine Beydon-Schlumberger and Alain Freyburger, the wine maker. The largest vineyard holders in Alsace of which over 50% are Grand Cru status. Their second wines bearing ‘Princes Abbés’ labels, nevertheless contain considerable quantities of fruit from the Grand Cru vineyards. The style is rich and intense. On our visit, we were amazed by the attention to detail from the upkeep of 45km of drystone walls on the steep mountainside vineyards to the complete modernisation of equipment in the winery. The Rieslings are charming and supple; the intense fruit of the Pinot Gris is sensational and lovers of Gewürztraminer will be delighted by these rich, balanced wines.
Riesling is Alsace’s noblest and finest grape variety. Although it was introduced in the 15th century by the Rhineland, it actually originates from the Orleanois region. It is very different to its German counterpart and from the numerous Rieslings that can now be found throughout the world.
The Riesling is mainly planted in the BOLLENBERG plot and in the Grand Cru SAERING and KESSLER plots as well as among the young vines of the Grand Cru KITTERLE plot.
Awards and reviews
- 2009 vintage 7.5/20 pts by Ernie Whalley “Grapefruit and lime zest on the nose, with citrus and herb-scented honey on the palate”. Martin Moran writes “lovely developed nose of lemon, honey and toast with a chalky note.” Sunday Times 16 Feb 14
- 2011 vintage 88 pts Wine Spectator, August 2013. “Streamlined, this is dry and focused, with a petrol note underscoring crisp flavours of crunchy green pear, blanched almond, candle wax and lemon zest. Moderate finish. Drink now through to 2016.”
- 2012 vintage 87 pts Wine Spectator, April 2014.
- 2012 vintage – Bottle of the week by Martin Moran, The Irish Times Magazine, 8 August 2015. ‘Enticing fresh quince and honey fruits with a lovely lingering finish.’
- 2012 vintage 92 pts James Suckling, Guide 2015/2016
- 2013 vintage 88 pts Robert Parker, June 2015
- 2013 vintage 90 pts Tomás Clancy, Sunday Business Post, 31 January 2016
- 2013 vintage 89 pts Wine Spectator, November 2015
- 2013 vintage 88 pts Wine Enthusiast, January 2015
- 2013 vintage 88 pts Wine & Spirits, This Year’s Best Buy Alsace, September 2015