About This Wine...
A young team led by Séverine Beydon-Schlumberger and Alain Freyburger, the wine maker. The largest vineyard holders in Alsace of which over 50% are Grand Cru status. Their second wines bearing ‘Princes Abbés’ labels, nevertheless contain considerable quantities of fruit from the Grand Cru vineyards. The style is rich and intense. On our visit, we were amazed by the attention to detail from the upkeep of 45km of drystone walls on the steep mountainside vineyards to the complete modernisation of equipment in the winery. The Rieslings are charming and supple; the intense fruit of the Pinot Gris is sensational and lovers of Gewürztraminer will be delighted by these rich, balanced wines.
SPIEGEL has been well-know for over 50 years, a time during which the owners of this plot have done their utmost to preserve its originality.
SPIEGEL lies on sandy-clay and faces east. It stretches out halfway up the slope between Guebwiller and Bergholtz at an altitude of 260 to 315 metres.
Awards and Reviews
- 2010 Vintage 91 pts Wine Spectator, April 2014
- 2012 Vintage 89 pts Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate, October 2015
- 2011 Vintage 92 pts Wine Spectator, November 2015
- 2011 Vintage 95 pts James Suckling, Guide 2015/2016
- 2012 Vintage 89 pts The Wine Advocate, September 2015