About This Wine...
“This organic wine weaves delicate floral and apples blossom aromas with flavours of lemon and a hint of minerality” Corinna Hardgrave in the Irish Independent, 31st March 2018
A young team led by Séverine Beydon-Schlumberger and Alain Freyburger, the wine maker. The largest vineyard holders in Alsace of which over 50% are Grand Cru status. Their second wines bearing ‘Princes Abbés’ labels, nevertheless contain considerable quantities of fruit from the Grand Cru vineyards. The style is rich and intense. On our visit, we were amazed by the attention to detail from the upkeep of 45km of drystone walls on the steep mountainside vineyards to the complete modernisation of equipment in the winery. The Rieslings are charming and supple; the intense fruit of the Pinot Gris is sensational and lovers of Gewürztraminer will be delighted by these rich, balanced wines.
Although the Pinot Blanc is a very ancient grape variety (already know in the 16th century), it was only truly recognized a few years ago. It does not come from Burgundy, but the north of Italy. It was first introduced by the Anglo-Saxons, and then gradually discovered by the French who appreciated its freshness, suppleness and ability to go with food.
Schlumberger Pinot Blanc mainly comes from our SAERING and SPIEGEL Grand Cru plots and BUX and BOLLENBERG plots.
Awards and Reviews
- 2011 Vintage 87 pts Wine Spectator, August 2013
- 2011 Vintage 85 pts Wine & Spirits, December 2013
- 2012 Vintage 87 pts Wine Spectator, April 2014. ‘Creamy and balanced, with a lightly saline edge to the notes of creamed apple and forest floor, accented by hints of marzipan and lemon preserves.’
- 2013 vintage 87 pts Robert Parker, June 2015
- 2013 vintage 90 pts Tomás Clancy, Sunday Business Post, 31 January 2016
- 2013 vintage 88 pts Wine Spectator, November 2015