Oludeo, La Soñadora, 2016

16.95

Made from 100% hand harvested Monastrell, fermented in stainless steel and aged for 10 months in French oak. Medium bodied with brambly fruit characters and a touch of spice, rounded tannins and a long, fresh finish.

Red Wine

Spain

About This Wine...

Made from 100% hand harvested Monastrell, fermented in stainless steel and aged for 10 months in French oak. Medium bodied with brambly fruit characters and a touch of spice, rounded tannins and a long, fresh finish.

“a concentration of dark fruit and blackberries, rounded out with smooth tannins from a year in oak barrels” Corinna Hardgrave, The Irish Independent 2nd June 2018

“bright blackberry, floral and black cherry aromas, soft blackberries dominate the palate” Leslie Williams, the Irish Examiner, March 2018

“Although generous in flavour it has built-in freshness as the grapes come from vineyards with warm days but long, cool nights.”. Mary Dowey, the Gloss Magazine, January 2018

“A rounded medium to full-bodied wine with a certain elegance, combined with abundant dense dark fruits, a touch of liquorice and smooth tannins on the finish. Enjoy now with red meats, or keep a year or two.” John Wilson, the Irish Times, December 2017

Colour: Deep ruby
Nose: Black fruits (plums, blackberries), liquorice, black pepper
Palate: Medium bodied with flavours of brambly fruit and spice. A smooth texture with rounded tannins and a long, fresh finish.
Food Pairing: A very good match with roasted leg of lamb or cutlets. It will also work well with dishes such as belly of pork or game birds such as quail.

Background

Oludeo is wine making project based in the high, illuminated valley of Yecla, 85 kilometres north west of Alicante in eastern Spain. Working with local farmers and produced by the Tindal family under the guidance of winemaker Simon Tyrrell, we have sought out the best parcels of dry farmed, old vine Monastrell from this spectacular region with the aim of capturing the essence of this important grape variety and the terroir upon which it is grown.

Yecla

The D.O of Yecla covers 6,500 hectares and lies between the Mediterranean and the plateau of la Mancha and is bordered by the D.Os of Jumilla, Alicante and Almansa. The altitude runs from 535 metres to 800 metres above sea level which contributes to significant diurnal variation which helps greatly with berry development and acid retention. The region receives around 3,400 sunshine hours per year and only 300mm of rain. The soil is primarily of limestone clay/sand composition.

The vineyard

The grapes for Oludeo come from the northern part of the valley, around the mountain of Monte Arabí. The vines are 30 years old on average, bush trained and dry farmed. The grapes are harvested manually.

Fermentation

90% of the grapes were crushed and destemmed before being pumped into stainless steel tanks. The remaining 10% was added whole bunch.

Temperatures were kept below 25°C in order to maximize the fresh fruit quality and extraction was achieved by short daily pump overs. Once alcoholic fermentation was finished the wine was immediately racked and the skins pressed with the press wine being reassembled.

The wine was then transferred to 600 litre demi-muids made of French oak where it was aged for a further 12 months.

The wine was bottled without fining or filtration.

Alcohol 14.50 %

Additional information

Alcohol

Appellation

Country

Wine colour

Oak

Region

Grape Variety

Reviews

There are no reviews yet.

Be the first to review “Oludeo, La Soñadora, 2016”

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Recently Viewed...

  • Villa Ponciago

    Villa Ponciago, Beaujolais Villages 2013

    18.50