About This Wine...
One of the most exceptional of the small, independent sherry houses, Fernando de Castilla was revitalised in 1999 by Jan Pettersen, a Norwegian gone native with a passion for top quality sherry with 15 years experience at Osborne. After taking over the cellars of the Sherry shipper Jose Bustamante, located next door to the main facilities of Fernando de Castilla, Jan quickly established Fernando de Castilla as masters of the production and ageing of fine, unblended, untreated Sherries. The bodega’s reputation is based on the excellence of the Antique range of intensely pure and complex single solera Sherries whose award winning packaging makes them even more impressive. The Antique Palo Cortado was awarded trophies for ‘Best of Show’ and ‘Best Dry Sherry’ at the 2009 New Wave Spanish Wine Awards, whilst the Antique Amontillado scooped the trophy for ‘Dry Sherry over £10’ and the 2009 Decanter World Wine Awards.
- NV: Decanter World Wine Awards 2009 – Silver
- NV: Sommelier Wine Awards 2009 – Gold List (Fernando de Castilla took 2 out of the 4 Golds for fortifieds in the Sommelier Wine Awards 2009)
- NV: New Wave Spanish Wine Awards 2009 – Top 110 Wines
- NV: Sommelier Wine Awards 2008 – Gold List
- NV: NWSWA 2006 – Top 103 Wines
- NV: IWC 2006 – Gold