About This Wine...
One of the most exceptional of the small, independent sherry houses, Fernando de Castilla was revitalised in 1999 by Jan Pettersen, a Norwegian gone native with a passion for top quality sherry with 15 years experience at Osborne. After taking over the cellars of the Sherry shipper Jose Bustamante, located next door to the main facilities of Fernando de Castilla, Jan quickly established Fernando de Castilla as masters of the production and ageing of fine, unblended, untreated Sherries. The bodega’s reputation is based on the excellence of the Antique range of intensely pure and complex single solera Sherries whose award winning packaging makes them even more impressive. The Antique Palo Cortado was awarded trophies for ‘Best of Show’ and ‘Best Dry Sherry’ at the 2009 New Wave Spanish Wine Awards, whilst the Antique Amontillado scooped the trophy for ‘Dry Sherry over £10’ and the 2009 Decanter World Wine Awards.
Awards & Reviews
- NV: Sommelier Wine Awards 2010 – Gold list
- NV: New Wave Spanish Wine Awards 2010 – Top 119 Wines
- NV: Decanter World Wine Awards 2009 – Trophy for Dry Sherry over £10
- NV: IWSC 2008 – Silver (Best in Class)
- NV: New Wave Spanish Wine Awards 2007 – ‘Top 109’ wines
- NV: IWC 2007 – Silver
- NV: IWC 2006 – Silver
- 93 points Tomas Clancy Sunday Business Post, September 13, 2015 ‘………..intense, deep amber delight. It is bursting with explosive, rich flavours of honey, dried orange peel, nuts, polished church pew, spice and comes with a lip-smacking finish. A secret, delicious pleasure.’