About This Wine...
The roots of Dow’s standing as a great Port house reach back over 200 years. Throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, Dow’s Vintage Ports have been landmark wines in virtually every great year, consistently setting the standard amongst all Port houses. Vintage Ports such as the remarkable Dow 1896, the 1927, 1945 1955, 1963 and so on until the Dow 1994 are all legends in the history of this great wine. These Ports are still magnificent today, even when 50 or 100 years old. Few wines can claim this quality and pedigree. In 1912, Andrew Symington became a partner in Dow’s and today five members of the family own and work in the company: they personally manage all aspects of winemaking from the vineyard to the final bottling.
A great classic Vintage, with concentrated, rich and potent wines. General declaration. Some wines just beginning to drink. The best need longer and will age very well for decades.
Reviews & Awards
- International Wine Challenge 2009 GOLD MEDAL – “A spicy eucalyptus nose, with black cherry peppery fruit, long firm finish. Dry and complex, with a long life ahead.”
- Jancis Robinson, London Evening Standard July 1987 – “My favourite was the DOW – very youthful, but extremely exciting, promising just like great young Bordeaux, many layers of complex flavour to come.”
- 1985 Vintage awarded Gold Medal at International Wine Challenge 2013
- 1985 Vintage awarded Gold Medal at Decanter World Wine Awards 2013
- Symington Family Estates – awarded the “Portuguese Wine Producer of the Year” Trophy 2013 by the International Wine & Spirit Competition.
- Dow’s Vintage Port 2011 has been named as ‘Top Wine of the World 2014’ by Wine Spectator